Sheep in pasture

Sheep in pasture
Feed My Sheep, Feed My Lambs, Feed My Sheep

Monday, September 7, 2015

Uncertainty Is A Killer



August 30, 2015
Stetson Memorial United Methodist Church
Summer Sermon Series:
“Revive Us Again O Lord!”
Adapted from “Revival” by Adam Hamilton
Theme: A Crisis of Faith…
Romans 4:3-5; 5:1-2
Acts 8:1-3
Romans 1:16-17
Galatians 2:16, 19-21

“Uncertainty Is a Killer”

Prayer for God’s Word to be heard through me…

Galatians 2:16New International Version (NIV)
16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in[a] Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

There are so many things in life that are uncertain. We never know one day to the next what the weather will be. We don’t know if our car will start. We may or may not have a job when we go into work. We may not know if what we want that is on sale in a store is still there or not. We don’t know if…fill in the blank… In a life full of uncertainty we only hope that a least our faith is certain…right? What about those times when we are praying and asking for something from God…a healing… a relationship restored…a child to come home who has been wayward…whatever it may be may cause us to question God at times or even ourselves. You may feel you have faith that could move mountains and then something happens that causes you to doubt your faith and acceptance from God. We are not sure if all this God stuff is really worth it…God doesn’t listen to what I am asking, maybe if I work a little harder He might think I am worthy of an answer… We have a crisis of faith.

And so we work a little harder thinking that if we do enough for God He will listen. Maybe if we do more devotionals…work more hours at the food pantry…take on that new project at the church even though I don’t know how I am going to fit into my schedule… The only thing that seems to happen is that we get even more tired and we don’t have time to even stop and listen to see if God is even answering our prayers…

This summer we are on a faith journey together. We are going to be intentional with our faith and our God…asking God to revive us again with that passion for Him and His word. We are going to take a walk with John Wesley and see how he lived out his faith.  My prayer is that we will be challenged and changed…that our Spirit’s will be filled and energized so that when we leave our church each Sunday and go out into the world as light bearers of the King. As we become those light bearers I pray that we bring revival to our community and beyond…to the ends of the earth. But as I have stated …it all begins here…within ourselves…being intentional with our faith…with our Spirit…with our God. We want a revival within our souls…
Now remember…Revival is a reawakening of faith or renewal of commitment to religion… we have talked about being intentional…wanting to awaken what may have fallen asleep within us… As we long for Holiness.

So…we are here having a Crisis of Faith. We may be thinking that if we just do a little more God will do more in our lives. The problem may be that we have forgotten one important factor in this thing we call faith. Justification by faith-only through having faith in Jesus Christ we are made righteous. This is God’s grace that we are accepted by grace alone.  Bitterness and anger can result from lifes set backs. At this time in our faith walks faith needs to move from our heads…move from thinking if we do more we will be righteous …to our hearts.
OK…I have a few questions for you and I want to see a show of hands if you have thought this before:
·        During the sermon I have sometimes make a meeting agenda or tasks for a church activity
·        I have secretly thought how could the church get along without me
·        Sometimes it is easier to do a church job myself than to delegate. That way I can be sure it gets done right.
·        I sometimes think about who I have to talk to about a church thing during my worship time.
·        During worship I sometimes do…(fill in the blank)…instead of being present in worship.
Ok…ok…now that I have tortured you with these questions this morning you can put your hands down. We all want to please God and be holy as He asks us to be. But we also need to experience and understand grace.

Adam Hamilton in his book Revival explains it like this:
God has met the sin of humankind with the gracious gift of God in Christ, worked out in a plan for history inclusive of both Jews and Gentiles. This plan is the bases for life in Christ. Inclusiveness… Are we? How are we not?
It’s not a matter of trying harder but a matter of grace from God.

Paul from the New Testament knew well about works. Acts 8:1-3 tells us that:
 1 Saul was in full agreement with Stephen’s murder.
The church scatters
At that time, the church in Jerusalem began to be subjected to vicious harassment. Everyone except the apostles was scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria. 2 Some pious men buried Stephen and deeply grieved over him. 3 Saul began to wreak havoc against the church. Entering one house after another, he would drag off both men and women and throw them into prison.
Saul…before he became Paul…was zealous for the law. He had experienced God’s acceptance but not quite enough. He had a crisis of faith thinking that being zealous was all that was needed…Until he had an encounter with Jesus that changed His whole life. He learned the truth of salvation…grace through faith. He was set free from trying, by works, to win God’s favor. He finally learned what the Galatians Scripture was saying… a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. You can work and work and never earn that justification because it is a free gift.
Martin Luther had the same issue. But the harder he tried, the more elusive, distant God’s acceptance and favor became. He did all the right things but felt there was more to do…

John Wesley…the founder of our denomination… Did early morning prayer, Fasted 2 days a week, studied the bible, communion weekly if not daily, visited those in prison and sick, visited the elderly, now that’s a list and a half, to be righteous but still felt unworthy. It wasn’t until Aldersgate that he got it right. His heart and his head began to work together.

In scripture…and in our lives…storms often lead to great revivals of faith. What do you remember that caused a revival in faith? Failures = success. Pain = moments of grace. We receive healing, grace, and new beginnings as we let go of anger (give to God) because of failure (difficult times in life). Give to God=great success. Pain = defining moments of grace.

We need to learn from our setbacks and failures. As we do Spiritual reading of the scriptures we can find comfort and hear God’s voice. Ok…Spiritual reading.
1.   As you read scripture look for a word or phrase that jumps out at you.
2.   Read it again
3.   Say it over and over again
4.   Memorize it
5.   Invite and inner dialog with the scripture
6.   Rest in Gods embrace
But as I have always said…it begins with you and with me. As we begin that journey back we too shall cry out…”Revive us again O Lord”. This we pray in the strong and precious Name of our Lord Jesus Christ…

Let us pray:
Lord, I believe that you love me. I love You too. I offer all that I am and all that I have to you. Help me to trust, like a little child, that you are always by my side. And help me to live for you and honor you in all that I do. Speak words of love and hope as I read your word, especially in those crisis times so that I may know and feel your grace. Revive me again O Lord.
(adapted from Adam Hamilton’s “Revival” prayer on page 52 of Leaders Guide)
Amen…


No comments:

Post a Comment